- Author of more than 30 cookbooks he also
struck out into the non-food world to write
his now classic Culture Shock! Britain. He
is widely travelled sampling the culture
and cuisines of France, Italy, Romania, Iceland,
Finland, Spain, Chile, Canada, Australia,
Israel and much of Asia.
- For more than 12 years he was food development
and Asian culinary consultant for HP Foods
and produced the current range of Amoy Straight
to Wok sachet sauces. The range is now under
the Heinz umbrella. Equally at home with
Indian, Japanese and all Southeast Asian
cuisines, he has done numerous presentations
for Food Service at different sites for Schools
and Universities in Cambridgeshire, Surrey,
Wales, Sunderland, Thorpe Park and Alton
Towers, BBC hot Wok concepts, Ethnic Food
Shows in Birmingham and Olympia London.
- Taught cooking in Singapore (1975- 1982)
- Ran Southeast Asian cookery classes for 8 years at Ken Lo's Kitchen, in this time devising courses for Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian and Singapore cuisines.
- Taught at Glynn Christian's culinary theatre, demonstrations for IFE Olympia, Sunday Times Food Show, Ethnic Food Show and others.
- Consultant to Institute of Oriental & Asian Cookery, Hackney Community College, Shoreditch.
- Australia in 1980, Liverpool Garden Festival
in 1985 and Singapore festival at Dickins
and Jones, Chinese Food festival in San Jose
- Featured on BBC1 Bazaar with Nerys Hughes,
four programmes on Satellite TV Lifestyle,
Anne Diamond's morning programme.
- Hosted three cookery series with Singapore
Television (in English)
- Many programmes for Carlton Food Network
- Author of cookery books: Nonya Cookbook,
Oriental Cooking for Microwave, Cooking with
Chinese Herbs, Fuss Free Cookbook, Complete
Asian Cookbook, Oriental Cooking for Marks
& Spencer, Asian Cookbook (Best Asian
Cookbook in the World Award from Gourmand
World, Barcelona) and Real Thai for Aurum
Press, series of Little Chinese, Vietnamese,
Thai and Sichuan Cookbooks for Appletree
- Thai Table was published by Marshall Cavendish,
Singapore in 2007. Also by Aurum is the Real
Thai Cookbook. Other books recently published
include The Cooking of Malaysia and Singapore,
The Cooking of Indonesia and the Philippines,
Taste of Singapore, The Food and Cooking
of South China, The Food and Cooking of Western
China (Sichuan) and yet to be released are
The Food and Cooking of North China (Beijing)
and The Food and Cooking of Eastern China
all by Anness Publishing (UK).
- Also by Marshall Cavendish Singapore, are
Naturally Yours the Chinese Way, a compilation
of herbal recipes covering TCM, Traditional
Chinese Medicine, Shiok! Cookbook jointly
written with his son Christopher Tan, a leading
food writer and stylist with his own website -
- Member of Guild of British Food Writers since
- Teaching Asian cuisines up to National Vocational Qualifications Level 3
- Recipe and sauce development
- Restaurant reviews and food writing
- Asian Food History
- Writing of definitive books on all Asian cuisines
- Culinary Workshops for professional chefs
copyright 2002 & beyond. TerryTan.com. All rights reserved.